April 29, 2011

Barbadian Banana Bread

Aside from the obvious alliteration, I loved the Barbadian banana bread I was served for its gooey, sweetness and the full sensation I get from a half slice of fresh baked bread.  We were given a morning snack of banana bread during our day cruise and it certainly helped take the edge off the morning rum punches we were enjoying.
In the weeks since our trip, I have had a hankering for the sweet treat and decided to experiment with a recipe I found in the May 2011 issue of Food Network Magazine.  I used the following variation of FNM Mix and Match Quick Bread recipe:

Ingredients
1 c        mashed banana
¾ c       pecans
1 ¼ c    flour
¾ c       sugar
1 tsp     baking powder
1 tsp     salt
½ tsp    baking soda
½ tsp    cinnamon
½ tsp    nutmeg
2           eggs
½ c        cooled melted butter
½ c        greek yogurt
1 tsp      vanilla extract


Directions
Preheat the oven to 350°.  Lightly butter one 9-by-5-inch loaf pan or three 6-by-3-inch mini pans.
Mix dry ingredients into large bowl.  In medium bowl, whisk eggs, butter, yogurt and vanilla.  Stir bananas into egg mixture, then fold into the dry mixture until just combined.
Dry Ingredients

Folding egg mixture into the dry ingredients
Spread the batter in the prepared pan(s).  Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 55 minutes for a standard loaf, 35 to 40 minutes for mini loaves.  Cool 30 minutes in the pan(s) on a rack, then turn out onto the rack to cool completely.

Finished product!  I'm planning on freezing the other two mini loaves.

This recipe is pretty fool proof.  The only suggestion I would make is adding a little bit extra banana if you're including nuts.  My bread wound up a little salty for my taste.

Does anyone have any good bread recipes?  I am interesting in trying some other breads.

No comments:

Post a Comment